Tuesday, July 1, 2008

LIttle moments

"Congratulations, it's a boy".... they never tell you that as this little boy grows up that he will go through a phase where moms become just someone to tell them when to take a bath, when to brush thier teeth, the lady you give your snack requests to, and interrupts your favorite show to ask you dumb questions like "How was your day?" I have really been struggling with this lately as my baby boy was my first born and my little buddy and sidekick for the first four years of his life. It was me he wanted to tuck him in and would remind me 100 times he needed a kiss before falling asleep. Now, at bedtime I get the cheek turned to me if I am lucky and hugs that last milliseconds. I know it is a boy thing and I am told that they eventually grow out of this phase, but wow is it a blow to a mommy's heart.

So, after I night out for coffee with my girlfriends, I had missed our weekly Monday night family viewing of American Gladiators (Isaac's favorite show). When I got up this morning I expected the usual breakfast request, but instead Isaac walks up to me and says "I hope we can watch American Gladiators together today, we saved it on the TV for you" and fighting back tears I responded "I can't wait to watch it with you" We spent the next hour watching tv together and him gabbing his head off about the new gladiator and being sure to tell me what happened during each event before it even came on. And just as quickly as he hopped on that couch, he was off again doing his own thing. I guess as he grows I will learn to cherish these little moments more and more and realize that he needs his room to grow up. He use to fight for my attention and now I fight for his....funny how that happens.

3 comments:

momx2 said...

Awh, tear and chills!
Well said.

I have to remind myself that they are not little forever when Avery is saying "hold me, hold me" and I just want to get the kitchen cleaned and sit down.

McKt said...

You brought tears to my eyes, as well. I needed that reminder to soak it up while I am still the center of their universe...even though it can be hard sometimes, I know I will miss there time when they want to put it elsewhere.

Unknown said...

Ok tears here too! Every time I blink Jimmy is growing and changing...I miss my little baby that just laid in my arms. They grow way to fast. He will always be mama's little boy!

God has blessed us with such a wonderful life and I want to share it with you!